PART 4

Another couple of years went by, and we moved from Fisher Avenue School to a post road school. We all went there. And I remember one thing about that post road school. I was in the sixth or seventh grade, I don’t know which, but I had a teacher by the name of Ms. O’Rourke. She was…very…she wasn’t too heavy. She was kind of thin, but a real true Riesman. But I had trouble with one of the fellows in the class, he was cutting up and raising the devil. And she got a hold of that guy and slammed him against the board, black board, and gave him a roughing up. Really, I was surprised that she had the power to do that because he was a big husky guy. But, that kinda sorta put us on notice to behave ourselves and so forth, which I guess I wasn’t too good at it at that time.

Then the next thing, I think, the folks must have build two houses, 107 and 109 South Broadway. And which they rented 109 to the Wellers; that was two sisters and a mother there, I think. And we occupied 107. We were all school-age there, and we went to the cross-street school, the grade school. And we walked there; there was no other transportation, no junior high, no eighth grade; eighth grade was in the high school on Main Street. So, the ninth, tenth, eleventh and twelfth were in the high school. Only one, that’s the only one there was at that time. There was no athletic programs in the high school. No softball, sort of stickball there was. Being a short piece of broom stick, sharp at both ends, it looked like a fat cigar, played like baseball. Threw, the puck so to speak. up and you swung the broom stick to hit. And so forth and so on, and that was sort of like what stickball became later.

One of the things else along there, we used to have a can with wire on it that we could swing. We built a fire in it and a got a fire going pretty good and used to put a potato in it and roast it. When it was done we used to eat the potato.